S C I E N C EP R O V E S G O D
“IN THE BEGINNING"
The Science of the Big Bang & Steady State Theories
(posted: March 2010)
Why does the universe go to all the trouble of existing?
Cosmologist – Stephen Hawking
* All scripture references are from the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible, unless otherwise noted.
It is not necessary to go back 13.7 billion years in time to see evidence of God’s hand “in the beginning”. All that’s required is to look at the years linked to the leading theories of cosmology – the Big Bang Theory (BBT) and the Steady State Theory (SST). These telltale years are 1927, 1948, 1949, and 1965. In 1927, George Lemaitre introduced the hypothesis that eventually became known as the BBT. In 1948, George Gamow expanded on Lemaitre’s hypothesis and developed it into a working theory. Also in 1948, a counter theory of origins called the SST was proposed by Fred Hoyle, effectively splitting scientific opinion. In 1949, Fred Hoyle unintentionally named Gamow’s theory the “Big Bang”, even as he championed the opposing theory. In 1965, the BBT was proven when Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) that had been predicted by Gamow and associates in 1948.
The historical record (facts of history) for these for years is then compared to the Psalms' chapters reflecting these same years via the Psalms’ year patterns previously described on this website. It is not difficult to see how the events of these years synchronize with a literal reading of these chapters. A picture begins to emerge of a "supernatural being who stands outside of space and time and affects the physical world we live in". That supernatural being, by definition, is God, a detailed description of whom can be found in the scientifically maligned book we call the Bible.
- Historical Record for the Big Bang
- Big Bang Theory – An Overview (direct quotes)
- According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as a “singularity” around 13.7 billion years ago.
- Singularities are zones that defy our current understanding of physics.
- Our universe is thought to have begun as an infinitesimally small, infinitely hot, infinitely dense something – a singularity.
- … the cosmos, all of which is inside an expanding universe that began as an infinitesimal singularity which appeared out of nowhere for reasons unknown. This is the Big Bang Theory.
- According to their calculations (by Hawking, Penrose, and Ellis), time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy. The singularity didn’t appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy – nothing.
- We don’t know where it came from, why it’s here, or even where it is. All we know is that we are inside of it, and at one time, it didn’t exist and neither did we.
All About Science – www.big-bang-theory.com
- The Year 1927 in Cosmology
- George Lemaitre believed the universe was expanding, based on his understanding of Einstein’s theories. He reversed the process and reasoned that if the universe was continuously expanding, it must have had its beginning in an extremely compressed state.
- His 1927 hypothesis was that the entire universe sprang from an “explosion” of a “primeval atom”. From this one atom, came all others.
- Being a Catholic abbot as well as a scientist, he believed this moment of creation was orchestrated by God. It was “a day that had no yesterday” – evening and morning the first day.
- Bringing God into the equation rankled many of his fellow scientists and proved divisive in the scientific community. Eventually, noted scientist and atheist, Fred Hoyle, mounted stiff opposition to what became known as the Big Bang Theory.
- The Year 1948 in Cosmology (the most significant of the four years)
- Lemaitre’s “creation moment” hypothesis was expanded upon and developed into a working scientific theory by George Gamow in 1948.
- Gamow’s theory included how the first two elements, hydrogen and helium, were formed within the first few minutes after the primal explosion.
- The hydrogen and helium would eventually coalesce into stars, thus providing a mechanism for the evolution of the universe. Stars were later proven (Hoyle) to be the furnace that produced the other elements.
- Also in 1948, Gamow’s associates, Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, formally theorized that the “afterglow” of the creation moment should fill the universe and would one day be detectable. They rightfully believed the photons, or particles of light, left over from the Big Bang would never disappear, though their intensity would diminish over time.
- They used the metaphor of an ocean to described this afterglow.
“We live in an ocean of whispers left over
from our eruptive creation. No one was listening.”
Gamow and associates
- The detection of the Big Bang’s afterglow, or ocean of whispers, would be pivotal in validating the BBT over its chief rival, Hoyle’s SST.
- The idea of a “creation moment” annoyed Fred Hoyle as it opened the possibility for a god to be involved. So he countered with his Steady State Theory (also in 1948), which garnered nearly equal support among scientists as did the BBT.
- Hoyle’s premise was that the universe was eternal. It had no beginning or end, and so no need for a creation moment; hence no need for God.
- Hoyle’s chief argument was that no relic had been found left over from a gigantic primordial explosion. Why was there no “fossil record”?
- The Year 1949 in Cosmology
- This was the year the Big Bang got its name.
- In early 1949, Dr. Fred Hoyle began a series of radio broadcasts in which he spoke derisively of this “hot big bang” idea.
“If the universe began with a hot big bang,
then such an explosion would have left a relic.
Find me a fossil record of this big bang.”
March 28, 1949
- And so, in an ironic twist of fate, The Big Bang Theory was named by its principal detractor, Fred Hoyle.
- The Year 1965 in Cosmology
- Radio astronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson stumbled upon a discovery that changed science, while using the huge radio telescope known as the Horn Antenna.
- Fortunately for science, their radio telescope was plagued with static noise in every direction they pointed it, night or day.
- Static noise persisted even after they chased away the pigeons and scraped off the bird droppings they left behind.
- After eliminating bird poop and every other source of interference they could think of, it occurred to them the noise was coming from outside the Milky Way Galaxy.
- They had discovered the phantom “fossil record” of the Big Bang, the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) that persisted throughout the universe and surrounded the earth. It was the “afterglow of creation”, the “embers” of the Big Bang, the “ocean of whispers”, and the presumed non-existent “fossil record” rolled into one.
- Their findings proved the BBT and effectively ended Hoyle’s SST from serious consideration.
- The discovery by Penzias and Wilson was deemed as one of the greatest of modern astronomy, as it forever changed the science of cosmology. They proved the universe had a beginning, and the afterglow of its spectacular birth permeates its expanse. The earth and all of its inhabitants are bathed in the afterglow of creation.
- Biblical Record for the Big Bang.
NOTE: Only the significant phrases of direct quotes are used.
- Year 1927 in Scripture (Psalms 27, 127, 87)
- Psalm 27:1, 4, 5, 11 (Note: The evidence builds. Psalm 27 is just the first small piece of the puzzle.)
- The Lord is my light …
- One thing I have desired of the Lord … that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
- In the secret place of His tabernacle, He shall hide me.
- Teach me Your way, O Lord… [God is the source of original light per Genesis 1. He hides us in this secret place and we dwell in His house all of our days. Relative to 1927, the house
of the Lord and His secret place represent Lemaitre’s primeval atom that expanded to the “house” we call the universe. This idea is further developed in Psalm 27 and 87. (A1-6; B1-4)]
- Psalm 127:1
- Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it, … [Lemaitre believed in 1927 that God built the universe by creating and exploding the primeval atom. Psalm 27 speaks of “house” as the place where God lives, and we live within God. Psalm 127 says God built the house. Relative to 1927, the word “house” is a metaphor for the universe. Those who labor to construct a universe without God (i.e.; Fred Hoyle), labor in vain. (A1-6; B1-4, E6, 7)]
- Psalm 87:3-7 (1927 is Hebrew Year 5687.)
- Glorious things are spoken of you, O city of God!
- … “This one was born there”
- … “This one and that one were born in her; and the Most High shall establish her.”
- The Lord will record … “This one was born there.”
- … “All my springs are in you.” [Lemaitre postulated in 1927 (5687) that the entire universe sprang (V.7) from one primeval atom (VV. 4, 5, 6). He also believed that God was uniquely involved in the process. The universe was born from the one (V.4, 6). Later it was shown that this one and that one (hydrogen and helium) were born in her (V.5) within the first several minutes after the initial explosion. This chapter, relative to 1927, speaks strongly of the singularity – the original “one” - that started all things. God says through Psalm 87 that He was the One who established her; He was the prime mover (V.5). These patterns representing 1927 would seem to confirm that God was indeed involved “in the beginning”.
“Hear O Israel; the Lord our God (plural form
in Hebrew), the Lord is One!”
And He (Christ) is before all things, and in Him all
God is One. He existed before all things, and in him all things consist. The singularity is one, it existed before all things, and within the singularity, all things exist. Perhaps the singularity is a “Who” instead of a “what”. The scientific concept of a singularity illustrates the biblical concept of how one God can exist in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All things exist within One. (A1-6; B1-4)]
- Year 1948 in Scripture (Psalms 48, 148, 8, 108)
The year 1948 was the seminal year for Big Bang Cosmology. God says repeatedly in the Psalms representing 1948 that He was the One who created the heavens and the earth. He commanded the heavens to be, and they were.
- Psalm 48:6, 8
- Fear took hold of them there, and pain, as of a woman in birth pangs.
- … God will establish it forever.
[The year 1948 in cosmology defines the birth of the
“This was the moment of the universe’s birth – the big
The birth pangs must have been enormous.]
- Psalm 148:1-8, 10, 13, 14
- … Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise Him from the heights!
- Praise Him sun and moon; Praise Him all you stars of light!
- Praise Him, you heaven of heavens …
- Let them praise the name of the Lord, for He commanded and they were created.
- He established them forever and ever; He made a decree which shall not pass away.
- Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all the depths; …
- Fire and hail, snow and clouds, fulfilling His word.
- … creeping things and flying fowl.
- Let them praise the name of the Lord, for His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven.
- And he has exalted the horn of His people. [All of creation praises God. He commanded it, created it, made a decree that shall not pass away, and established it forever and ever. The seeds of the Big Bang Theory are in the “He commanded and they were created – hence a beginning point. The seeds of the Steady State Theory are in the “established it forever and ever.” Forever is eternal. Eternity by definition has no beginning or end – hence the Steady State Theory. Not by coincidence, the origin of the cosmos was under fierce debate in 1948. Verse 7 speaks of Gamow’s “ocean of whispers.” Verses 10 & 14 foreshadow the Horn telescope and its contamination by flying fowl. It was the Horn telescope that would prove the BBT over the SST. In verse 13, the word “glory” is best translated as splendor, brilliance or resplendence, all of which project the idea of light shining forth. Verse 13 is essentially saying God’s afterglow permeates the heavens and reaches the earth. Likewise, Alpher and Herman predicted in 1948 that the afterglow of the creation moment would permeate the heavens and reach the earth. All of God’s universe fulfills God’s word (V.8), which is the basic premise of Proves God. (B1-4, C1,4-9; E1-7)]
- Psalm 8:1, 3, 6, 7 (1948 is Hebrew year 5708)
- O Lord, our Lord. How excellent is Your name in all the earth, who have set Your glory (splendor, luster, brilliance) above the heavens!
- When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and stars which You have ordained (to decree as part of the order of nature or of the universe – American Heritage Dictionary).
- … You have put all things under his feet,
- All sheep and oxen – even the beasts of the field. [ Verse 1 is a restatement of 148:13, in which God’s light or afterglow permeates the heavens and reaches the earth. Verse 3 is a restatement of 148:1-6, in which God created the heavens and earth in the beginning. In 1948 (Hebrew year 5708), Lemaitre, Gamow, Alpher, Herman and Hoyle were strongly considering the work of God’s fingers (V. 3), which He had put in order and decreed (V.3). Verses 6 and 7 speak to the “fossil record” that Hoyle claimed did not exist. Where are the fossils from the beast of ages past actually found? They are found under man’s feet (VV. 6, 7). (C1-9; E1-7)]
- Psalm 108:2, 4, 5, 7 (Hebrew year 5708)
- Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn.
- For Your mercy is great above the heavens, and Your truth reaches to the clouds.
- Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth.
- God has spoken in His holiness; I will divide … and measure out… [God awakened the dawn of the universe (V.2) relative to 1948. Verses 4 and 5 restate Psalms 8:1 and Psalms 148:13. Three out of four chapters representing, 1948 express the idea of God’s afterglow permeating the heavens and reaching the earth. They strongly foreshadow the cosmic radiation that permeates the heavens and rains down on earth, the discovery of which proved the BBT over its rival SST. Relative to 1948, verse 7 speaks of the primeval atom, or singularity, being divided or measured out. God is a God of mathematical precision. He divided and measured out the cosmos to mathematical perfection (V.7), as only the Supreme Being could do. God is not the scientific rube His critics make him out to be. (A1-6; B1-4; C1-9; D1-3; E1-7)]
- The Year 1949 in Scripture (Psalms 49, 149, 9, 109)
- Psalm 49:1-3
- Hear this all peoples; Give ear all inhabitants of the world.
- Both high and low, rich and poor together.
- My mouth shall speak wisdom, and the meditation of my heart shall give understanding. [Fred Hoyle’s mouth inadvertently spoke wisdom from the meditation of his heart (V.3), when he dismissively called the unnamed Lemaitre/Gamow theory this “hot big bang” idea. Verses 1 and 2 speak of a noise loud enough to be heard by all the inhabitants of the earth- a big bang perhaps. It seems that the real source behind the naming of the Big Bang Theory in 1949 was the book Fred Hoyle deemed irrelevant. (B4; D1-3; E5,6)]
- Psalm 9:15, 16, 19, 20 (Hebrew year 5709)
- … In the net which they hid, their own foot is caught.
- … The wicked is snared in the work of his own hands.
- Arise, O Lord, do not let men prevail; …
- … that the nations may know themselves to be but men. [Fred Hoyle did not prevail (V.19). He was caught in his own net (V.15), by the words of his own mouth. He was snared in the work of his own hands (V. 16), by God who proved Hoyle to be only a man (VV. 19, 20). (B4; D1-3; E5, 6)]
- Psalm 109:1-3, 13-20, 27, 29 (Hebrew year 5709)
[Fred Hoyle opened his mouth against God. Psalm 109 details the rewards of those who do so (VV. 13-20, 29). Verse 27, relative to 1949, affirms once again that God is the One who created the heavens and the earth. (B1-4; D1-3; E5,6)]
- The Year 1965 in Scripture (Psalms 65, 25, 125)
- Psalm 65:7, 8
- You still the noise of the seas, the noise of their waves, and the tumult of the peoples.
- You make the outgoings of the morning and the evening rejoice. [Relative to 1965, the word “noise” is significant. Penzias and Wilson had noise on their radio telescope they could not account for. They chased away the pigeons and cleaned the poop; they pointed the scope in every direction; they searched both night and day (V.8), and still the noise persisted (V.7).
Alpher and Herman believed there would be an
afterglow of energy left over from the Big Bang that
might be detectable on radio telescopes. Together
with Gamow, they said, with poetic flare, that our
earth exists in an “ocean of whispers left over from
our eruptive creation”.
Verse 7 speaks clearly to this ocean of whispers,
relative to 1965. Oceans roar when the seas are
raging, but only whisper when the waves are quieted,
lapping gently against the shore.
In 1965, Penzias and Wilson heard the noise from the
“ocean of whispers” (V.7), thus proving the creation
moment of the Big Bang. The outgoings of the Big Bang
that persisted day and night (V.8) ended the
tumult (V.7) between the two camps. (C1-9; E1-7)]
- Psalm 25:4-6, 9, 14 (Hebrew year 5725)
- Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths.
- Lead me in Your truth and teach me; …
- … For they are from old.
- … and the humble he teaches His way.
- The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant. [Relative to 1965, God showed Penzias and Wilson His ways and taught them His paths (VV. 4, 5). They weren’t looking for proof of the Big Bang (V.6) when they stumbled upon it. This was a momentous discovery that changed the science of cosmology and was considered one of the greatest finds of modern astronomy. They were later honored with the Nobel Prize for their efforts. It has been said that most scientists look for great discoveries but find pigeon poop instead. Penzias and Wilson were looking for pigeon poop when they made a great discovery (V.9). (C1-9; E1-7)]
- Psalm 125:1, 2 (Hebrew year 5725)
- Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
- As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people, from this time forth and forever. [Penzias and Wilson discovered in 1965 that the CMB surrounds us as the mountains surround Jerusalem and as the Lord surrounds His people (V.2). From the Big Bang, time forth and forever, its afterglow will fill the universe and surround the earth and its people (V.2). That is what God does for those who love and fear Him. Being surrounded by the creator of all things is a good place to be. He places us in the tabernacle of the Most high. (A1-6; C4-7; E1-7)]
God does not use the Bible to authenticate science and history but, rather, uses science and history to authenticate the Bible. Skeptics have been saying for years now, “Where is the evidence of God?” Where is the “fossil record”? Well, He did leave us a record, not dead and decayed, but living, powerful, and sharper than a two-edged sword. It illuminates the past, affects the present, and determines the future. Yet it languishes on the shelves of bookstores gathering dust, like buried treasure waiting to be discovered. With a little digging, the Bible reveals itself to be the afterglow of an invisible God, the fossil record of the everlasting One, and the living word of the Almighty God.
Click here to post comments >