S C I E N C EP R O V E S G O D
HOLLYWOOD PROVES GOD - December 1972
The Fictionalized Science of Ocean Wave Dynamics
(posted: November 2009)
* All scripture references are from the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible, unless otherwise noted.
This is the third and final installment in our rogue wave history trilogy. Though the most well known of the three, this rogue wave is imaginary. The Poseidon Adventure, the movie, opened in December 1972 and became one of the top grossing films of 1972. It depicted the final voyage of the fictional ship, SS Poseidon, as she sailed across the Atlantic from New York to Athens.
The movie began as the passengers of the SS Poseidon were enjoying a gala New Year’s Eve celebration. Suddenly and without warning, the ship was struck by an enormous rogue wave and was capsized. The destructive wave of the movie was generated by an undersea earthquake, though we now know these earthquakes are more likely to generate tsunamis than rogue waves. The remainder of the movie centered on the surviving passengers attempt to escape the darkness of the overturned ship before it sank.
The ship and the movie derive their name from the Greek god of the waters, earthquakes, and horses (American Heritage Dictionary). Poseidon was also known as the “earth-shaker” since he pounded the earth and shook the sea. According to mythology, Poseidon’s greatest gift to the Greeks was the horse, considered his most magnificent creation. We can find both the rogue wave of the movie Poseidon and the defining characteristics of the mythological god Poseidon in the biblical year patterns applicable to December 1972. God again authenticates His book by fashioning history around it.
Biblical Year Pattern for December 1972 (Psalm 72, 33, 133)
NOTE: Only the significant phrases of direct quotes are used.
- Psalm 72
- He shall have dominion from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth. [We can see the god of the sea and the god of earthquakes in this one verse. Poseidon was the ruler of the seas and the ends of the earth. It is literally the ends of the earth (tectonic plates) that cause earthquakes.]
- The kings of Tarshish … will bring presents; the kings … will offer gifts. [Sailors believed Poseidon, the god, would provide safe passage for them if they honored him with gifts. Many horses were drowned in the sea to appease Poseidon.]
- The kings shall fall down before him. [Men prostrated themselves before the false god Poseidon. The evidence of the true God is seen in the biblical patterns.]
- - 19. [These verses describe some of the benefits God provides for mankind and the praise and honor He is due. Unfortunately, the benefits of God are all but invisible to modern man. While we are too sophisticated to believe in Poseidon, we pay homage to another false god – “Mother Nature”. We attribute God’s marvelous works to nature and natural laws rather than to the God who created nature and the natural laws.]
- Psalm 33
- For the word of the Lord is right. And all His work is done in truth. [The historical record woven into the biblical patterns affirms the truth of God’s word.]
- The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. [Yes it is. It’s just that we call God’s bountiful goodness “nature” and fail to recognize His involvement in the process.]
- By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. [Not only was this verse authenticated by the largest rogue wave on record (Ramapo – 1933), it’s authenticated by the most famous rogue wave of record – Poseidon Adventure – the movie.]
- He gathers the waters of the sea together as a heap; He lays up the deep in storehouses. [There’s that verse again – the perfect poetic description of a rogue wave. In 1933, Psalm 33:7 represented the Gregorian calendar year as the US Navy Ship Ramapo was hit by the largest rogue wave on record. In December 1972, Psalm 33:7 represents the Hebrew calendar year (5733) as the fictional ship Poseidon was hit by the most famous rogue wave on record. It is amazing to me to see the degree to which history is influenced by these biblical patterns. Our God is an amazing God.]
- Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. [The fear of God leads to wisdom and understanding (Proverbs 9:10). Once we really get that He is the Lord God and creator of the universe, then awe naturally follows.]
- & 14. [God is watching us. Affirmed by the biblical patterns.]
- [Armies alone cannot save us.]
- A horse is a vain hope for safety; neither shall it deliver any by its great strength. [If the Greeks had read this verse, perhaps they would not have thrown so many horses into the sea. Drowned horses were a vain hope for Greek sailors.]
- Behold the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy, [According to scripture, God’s chief attributes are justice and mercy. His justice is demonstrated through the judgments He executes (Psalm 9:16). His mercy is demonstrated through Jesus Christ, the Savior of mankind. Both of God’s attributes are ongoing. We are either judged without Christ and face God’s justice or we’re saved with Christ and receive God’s mercy. The path we choose is everlasting.]
- Our soul waits for the Lord. He is our help and our shield. [Our only lasting hope is in the real God – not Poseidon, not Mother Nature, not any other named or unnamed god. Nor can the world save us – not kings, armies, or horses of great strength. Only God. He is our help and our shield.]
- Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in You. [Amen]
- Psalm 133
- It is like the precious oil upon the head, running down the beard, the beard of … [Type the name Poseidon into the search engine and then press image. He will be the imposing figure with the beard.]
This movie example illustrates that the patterns in the scripture influence more than the natural world. They also influence the actions and creativity of man. The Poseidon Adventure was conceived, produced and released according to the biblical pattern. Psalm 139 says that our days are fashioned for us before we are born and they are written in His book. This movie released in December 1972, gives us another example of how details from the historic record can be readily found in the biblical patterns. Who besides the true God of the universe could arrange history to conform to a pattern written in a book?
Who can this be that even movies about the wind and the sea obey Him?
Click here to post comments >
There are many problems in the world, but only one cure.
Jesus: the way, the truth, and the life.