H O WI T W O R K S
ACCEPTING THE CHALLENGE
There are many convincing arguments made by atheists, agnostics, and skeptics about why God does not exist and how faith in God is foolishness. Their arguments can be quite compelling to impressionable college students in lower level science and philosophy classes, causing many to lose their faith. Scientific evidence, such as fossil and geologic records, and well-honed philosophic rhetoric are the basis of their arguments. The New Atheism Movement, led by Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, etc., is quiet proficient in using scientific evidence and philosophical arguments to belittle belief in God and belief in any sacred book He is thought to have written.
New Atheism's overriding theme is that faith has no evidence to support it, while science does. Hence, in their minds, the scientific world view trumps the religious world view. Recently, the tone of atheists and agnostics has become more vehement, claiming that faith of all kinds is not only foolish but, like a virus spreading from brain to brain, it must be stopped (Dawkins). A few examples of their viewpoint are as follow:
- “Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence.”
- Richard Dawkins
- “Faith is blind trust in the absence of evidence, even in the teeth of evidence.” - Richard Dawkins
- “We must find a time when faith, without evidence, disgraces everyone who would claim it.” - Sam Harris
- “It is time we admitted . . . there is no evidence any of our (sacred) books were authored by the Creator of the universe.” - Sam Harris
- “God is in the details”? He isn't in ours, unless his yokel creationist fans wish to take credit for his clumsiness, failure, and incompetence.” - Christopher Hitchens
- “Religion poisons everything.” - Christopher Hitchens
- “Religion kills.” - Christopher Hitchens
- “Science must destroy religion.” - Sam Harris
- “Certainly, I see the scientific world view as incompatible with religion.” - Richard Dawkins
- “There are an infinite number of things we can't disprove. The onus (to prove God) is on someone who says, “I want to believe in God.'” - Richard Dawkins
- “The litmus test for reasonableness should be obvious: anyone who wants to know how the world is . . . will be open to new evidence.” - Sam Harris
Dr. Dawkins says the burden of proof is on us to prove God, not on them to disprove God. Fair enough, we accept the challenge. We will put the atheists and agnostics to the litmus test (Harris). We will show them new evidence (Harris).
Proves God will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:
- God exists: He is the supernatural “entity that stands outside the limits of time and space with the power to affect the physical world.” (“But Is It Science?”, Dallas Morning News, 9/10/05)
- The Bible is stamped with the seal of God. It has the authority of the one true God and is authenticated and verified by that same God.
The Bible says, “Faith without works is dead.” Atheists and agnostics say faith without evidence is dead. On Proves God, the faith is ours, but the works and the evidence are God's.
Take-home points from Proves God:
Believe His book
Follow His plan
Click here to post comments >
Observations & Hypothesis